January 19, 2009

Moving Back In

I'm back in the land of smells like vomit. :D The pipes in one of the bathrooms backed up while I was away, so it's closed and apparently smelling like a lot of things a lot of people hoped were long gone. I'm not too tempted to check it out. What I have checked out by necessity is the dishes and trash room. On a good day it's not the nicest of living areas, but no one has emptied the trash in weeks, it's filled the room except for a narrow walking space, and one of the two sinks is filled with vomit.

I am facing two challenges:

1.) Fitting a whole bunch of new stuff into an already saturated 1/2 of a dorm room.
2.) Getting ready for classes to begin, literally overnight.

I started with a little bit of spring cleaning. First was the refrigerator. Little drips from before winter break have turned into reeking pools of god knows what, and it doesn't look like Mayumi did much to keep things livable. Her milk spoiled a few weeks ago, by the looks of it. I was able to admire the damage from outside the closed container, and it was really quite something. The milk had actually separated into three layers, and much of it was yellow-green. I tried to find unobtrusive places in the trash room for this and other victims of my longer than expected absence. I ended up taking everything out and going at it again and again with a hot wet rag. I also defrosted the freezer, which was beginning to look like a bona fide ice cave. I found a small frozen pizza hidden under the avalanche.

Next I tackled the under-bed space. I reorganized some drawers and laundry baskets. I'm not sure how much it helped, in retrospect, but we'll see how the new system works in practice. I mopped the floor down there and around my nightstand as well. The dust bunnies were breeding the Fibonacci sequence. I started unpacking then - I got all my kitchen implements out and accessible, though I hope Mayumi is okay with my using up more of the top of the dresser. She should be - she uses my appliances, after all, and they require more room than bag of jolly ranchers she usually keeps up there. She has added a 'Giant Sunflower' that apparently can grow to be up to ten feet tall. I read the instructions, and after two months it's supposed to be planted outside. I guess she's planning to deal with that when we get to it. She told me she's been watering my Poinsettia, but that it's dying anyway. I don't know anything about plants, but although almost all the flowers have dried and fallen off, the main part seems healthy enough. :P Well, it's not like I'm terribly attached to it anyway, so we'll just see what happens. I never thought of myself as a plant person at all, but in the absence of a pet, it's not bad to have around.

I've put all my books up and they look nice. :D I need to give JoShawn his presents before they take over my room, though. I found a pretty good spot for them, but foot by foot they're being unreasonable. XD The problem is that it's semi-against the rules of Big Brothers Big Sisters to give presents, but my mom sent all this stuff - first just old books of puzzles and stuff, and then new mittens, etc... and I dunno what to do with it if I don't give it to JoShawn.

I got all of my textbooks, delivered to the door. I didn't think that was possible, or else everyone would do it, so I went and stood in line with the others for Early Bird, only to be told that I wasn't in the system. On a hunch, I went to my mailbox, and sure enough, there was a big package there. I ordered a while ago, so I might have to go back and buy new assignments, but the bulk are here.

I think I'm going to do okay with this stuff, but I have reached my half of the room's maximum livable capacity, so I have no idea what I'll do if I get any birthday presents in March. :D Anyway, genius that I am, I left my bed for last, so I have a bit more work to do before I can sleep. My first class is at eleven, which is nice. I can sleep in until nine, shower, do the required readings for my two classes, plan my route, and leave. First up: Principles of American Journalism and... American Government. What a patriotic schedule! Haha. Well, tomorrow is the inauguration, so I guess that it's fitting. ^^

No comments: