January 12, 2009

Lox and Norwegian

The more I consume, the greedier I become for each of these, and they're being linked more and more strongly in my mind. The first time I sat down to read Mio, Min Mio it was with a plate full of toasted brown bread, cream cheese, and lox. Both were nice, but almost too much for me to handle. I come back at both six months later and find them more digestible. Mio, Min Mio is actually quite easy, although this time I prefer to go through and look up every word I am the least bit unsure of, so that I make sure to learn them. And I am learning a lot by forcing myself to go at a slow and steady pace. I am especially learning about little things, little reading and learning strategies. Sometimes I'll jump too quickly to unravel a compound word, and end up splitting it in the wrong place before it comes clear to me. Sometimes I'll do the same thing with endings or prefixes. And I'm also learning a whole bunch of words, from 'vanish' to 'beehive'. Ideally, I'd like to go through Mio, Min Mio like this, and then Brødrene Løvehjerte, then Ronja Røverdatter, and then my two Erlend Loe books, and then Kristin Lavransdatter. :D I know that that last seems to be a big jump, but I can already sort of stumble my way through Kristin Lavransdatter. I've read about the first chapter, and it's rough going - very occasionally, a whole paragraph will even slip by without my snatching more than one or two words from it - but for the most part I get the main idea. When you add in my norsk paragraph to Johan and my norsk comments to Ragnhild, I've used more Norwegian today (okay, and yesterday and the day before) than I think I have since I left Norway! :D

No comments: