January 20, 2009

First Day Emo

I'm blogging for one of the usual reasons - I am still gathering the strength to face the day before me. I slept terribly last night. I think it was a combination of having to get used to a small, hard bed, the massive amount of light that comes in our windows from the street, the noise from the hospital, having a roommate a few feet away, warmer temperatures, and weird forms of exhaustion. All except the last are things I adjusted to last semester and am sure that I will adjust to again, but it didn't make for a great night.

I was trying to finish cleaning my room last night, but I had to sit down at one point because my legs almost collapsed under me. I wondered why I was so tired, and then it hit me. Yesterday I woke up in Orlando Florida, rather early, went through airport nonsense, flew to St. Louis, went through more airport nonsense, packed the car with Mizzou stuff, drove to Mizzou (I actually drove :D), brought all the stuff up to my dorm room, unpacked it, cleaned 70% of my room, and stayed up until midnight. (Which isn't that late, but it made for a long and busy day, especially considering the one hour time difference between here and Orlando)

The newness and excitement is gone from living in the dorm, but I feel surprisingly neutral towards even some of the worse elements of it. The light streaming through the window is difficult for me, as is the high temperatures Mayumi likes in here. (Especially when I'm in all day). Still, the rest of it - communal showers, vomit smell, small spaces - I have totally accepted as a stage of my life, and I actually take a strange distant pride and fascination in it, if that makes any sense. It almost makes me feel good to live more simply, to live with less.

I'm going to go through now and check which textbooks I still have to buy and plan a map to get to my classes. I might read a bit to prepare for the history class, but I'm not worried about doing that for the journalism one, because they said that we'd be watching the inauguration in class.

New People:
- All of them except for one is English speaking. Someone hates me. XD
- Laura has a new British/Welsh roommate, named Bethan(y?).
- There is a new Australian guy named Tom who is nice and I think has been hanging out with my group. :)
- There is apparently a Danish girl who is nice, lives off campus, but hangs out in Laws sometimes. Now, Denmark/Danish is the least familiar to me of all the varieties of Scandinavia, but it would still be nice to talk to her. :D

No comments: