January 30, 2009

The Future of This Blog

Here's the dilemma.

I am becoming a more active blogger. I blame journalism classes, and a new, more writing focused, plan for my life. In the past it has bothered me that this blog is such a hodgepodge of things, without focusing on any of the facets, which seem to be, mainly,

1.) Reflective pieces, based on my life.
2.) Ordinary diary-like summaries of my life, sometimes accounts of the day to get a feeling for what life is like, sometimes updates on important life changes.
3.) Updates on my projects, etc. (Like learning languages, or books I read)
4.) Random things I find and want to share, like music or the occasional News story.

Of these, all but the last will be very nice to have as a 'diary' of sorts when I look back on it later in life. Even the last shows what I'm thinking about and interested in, but it's less in that direction. And in fact it may be the least appealing part of the blog, because I don't do it consistently enough to draw readers who want that. As it is, I imagine that I have 2-6 regular readers, and I know who about three of them are for sure. It's always hard to tell - sometimes, and sometimes surprisingly quickly (as if they read often) I get a comment by someone I didn't think was following. Although, very few comments from anyone nowadays. There are a few people who I would like to read my blog, because, well, I would read theirs if they had one. XD But now I'm just approaching emoness, haha. Oh, and Jashen, I really try with yours, but a lot of it is kind of impenetrable for me... XD Anyway, I am still going to keep that part, but, as I talk about in the next sentence, I am not going to expand upon it.

The thing is, that being in the journalism school is I think making me think more about what goes onto my blog. It's not really making me not want to put anything I have been putting up, but rather wanting me to put up new things. There is a small part of me who wants to blog more news. But I am resisting this because there are tons of people who do this way better than my time or interest would allow me, and it's not something that "Only I can do, exactly the way I do it" so to speak. The other thing I want to do more blogging of are well put together memoir type things. The first category, reflections, may or may not fit into this category. What certainly does are those things that if all goes perfectly I will be doing for a living in 5 or so years - travel journalism, namely. And I'd like to do a bit of childhood, adolescent memories before they start fading too much. I think this part is not entirely spurred by journalism, but also by life changes - I'm realizing that I'm about to lose some things that I had stubbornly told myself were forever. ;)

To sum things up, the idea is that if I do indeed start doing more of this sort of thing, and I find that it's crowding the blog to add that to what I already do, or, more likely, if I find that these pieces that I spend more time on are quickly disappearing into the sands of my more random blog posts, there is a chance that I will make a second blog for them, as I did for my fiction story that didn't really work out, 3 or 4 years ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a regular reader! ;)

Jimmy Archer said...

If you go through these meta-blog thoughts then you have too much free time! :D Half kidding.

You are thinking of how to brand yourself. I see this blog as a 'personal' blog. One where you write about whatever and don't try to achieve some magical goal. If you wanted to improve the pithyness of your writing you might do that in another part of 'internet space' -- have a different arena to do something focused and different.

whoops gotta run

Elindomiel said...

Yeah, that's sort of the conclusion I came to, too. But thanks for your two cents on the matter.

:D And it's not JUST too much free time, although the first two weeks of school I definitely did. It's also that we talked a lot about blogging in my journalism class, so it got me thinking...