February 24, 2009

Language Curriculums

I wonder how much similarity there is between the curriculum between different languages, and how close you can get to a perfect curriculum for a single language, and how close you can get to a perfect general curriculum.

No answers or even guesses this time, just questions.

Obviously this would be most appropriate towards the first year or two of study, before you get into more specialized vocabulary.

I'm wondering because in Norwegian for example, I felt like my ability to speak sprang forward quickly because the first thing I learned were the modals. Not all languages have such useful and easy words, but they have ways of expressing some of the same ideas. So I'm wondering if starting with those would always be beneficial.

Etc.

I need to take some linguistics classes before I get out of here.

No comments: