August 08, 2006

South American Fantasy

Today was a day of major planning for the South American Fantasy.

I've set up two cultures, not fully, but a little. Again, I'm trying for the whole 'seperate but equal' thing, on the other hand the people who start out seeming uglier and savage turn out to be a little more reasonable.

I'm also telling it from the POV (third person, but limited) of two people who are, at least in the beginning of the conflict, only minimally involved and unimportant. That means that the stuff that happens with the king and queen and whatever will mostly be told through rumours, etc. I might add more POV's as I write, possibly even one or two of the royals, but their conflict are only part of the story.

I've spent about 3 hours weeding through my Quechua English dictionary finding good names. Several things have two names, one from each culture, although the share a language. For instance, while both call the rainforest Yunka, the people who live below call the cloud forest the "Wayra Munti" which is something of, "Forest of fog, mist, and the wind that carries disease, death, and evil spirits in it's wake.", and the people who live in the cloud forest call it "Sach'a", which is just a rather pretty word for forest.

I should start writing a bit tomorrow...

No comments: