April 13, 2009

Slightly Disheartening Japanese Update

I have a confession to make. My announcement that I had broken down the first wall of Japanese was a bit premature. I did feel something break (two?) weeks ago, but I'm now pretty sure it was the writing system - the idea of balancing three of them, no spaces, and how to look at Kanji without screaming in pure terror. Japanese vocabulary and grammar are still giving ground very, very slowly.

But I'm not worried. At the moment I'm taking it one construction at a time, substituting different things in to make new meanings. My book is running more and more against my learning style the further I get, but I'm just going to put up with it for a while. Next weekend I can pick up one of my other Japanese books if I want - but I think the other ones are even worse about showing Romanji than this one, and I don't really know how they treat grammar, etc yet. Laura told me I could borrow her textbook over the summer if I wanted to, and it looks pretty nice, so I may take her up on that.

But I know more than 50 Kanji now, and my knowledge of Hiragana is rock solid!

No comments: