April 09, 2009

Liisa! (And Johan and Zahra)

I bought Liisa's birthday present today, but it cost more than it should and so I have to go back and get the card another time. The card I was looking at was nice, but it wasn't absolutely irreplaceable. I like the gift. It's very much black humour, so I think Liisa will appreciate it. :) It's a bit late for me to send it to her, but then, her present to me is going to be more than a month late... so... I have some leeway. XD We've been awful penpals lately... really since I visited her. But that's maybe because we're more like ordinary friends now - we find out about big things on Facebook, so that removes the urgency for emails... and we know that we'll remain friends if we miss a month or two or twelve of our correspondance.

But I do need to send her an email. Perhaps this weekend, since it will be my last free one for a long, long time? On that subject I should send one to Johan too. It's not that I don't think of them! I just get super absorbed when I start writing emails. Speaking of which I have a pseudo penpal right now through the university. Her name is Zahra and she is from India - she's been accepted into the Journalism school here and will arrive in the fall. Since I'm on a five year plan we'll actually be graduating together... and I think we're the same age! :) So there's potential for this to turn into a very real friendship. ;)

I've been answering her questions and worries about coming here. She seems very smart and her English is great, but some of her questions still make me laugh. "Are there any trains and busses that go from New York to Columbia?" O.o I'm of course trying not to be bias when I tell her about the different FIGS, but I'm kind of hoping she'll be in mine. ^^ It would be great to start the year with an ally in my hall and in the class I'm teaching!

No comments: