April 16, 2009

Romaji?

I have a made a potentially naughty decision. I am going to use some Romaji in learning Japanese. This is because I have to learn Japanese quickly, and I think that vocabulary, grammar, etc, will come more quickly to me if I use some Romaji. I hate to do it, because I know that for long term study it's a bad idea. However, I'm not planning to become a Japanese scholar or anything like that. I'd like to have some basic read/write ability in Japanese too, but trying to do them together is just slowing down my grammar acquisition too much. If I find myself getting ahold of the grammar, I can always go back to learning, practicing exclusively in the Japanese script, but for now I think it's slowing me down too much. For example, I look at a page of grammar to review - and I can't 'review' - I can't skim. I can read Hiragana now, but I can't skim it.

Anyway, I will still be using Hiragana sometimes to make sure it doesn't disappear, and I will still be learning Kanji (and maybe I'll go ahead and knock out Katakana sometime before I go), but if my book or my brain wants to work on grammar in Romaji, I'm going to stop fighting it.

No comments: