April 23, 2009

Caffeine

I don't normally take in much, if any, caffeine. There is the trace amount in chocolate, but I don't drink soda, or coffee, or chew any of that caffeine gum or anything like that. So it has a profound affect on me.

I'm taking allergy pills right now that make me tired. Last night I got home from an event and fell asleep at 8. Normal bedtime here is 12-2, so that was really weird. Today I took the allergy pill together with a caffeine pill, hoping they would counteract each other.

ONE caffeine pill. It says on the box that it is the equivalent of one cup of coffee. Well, all day I've been jittery and restless, but still a bit tired, which just felt weird. Part of me wanted to collapse and part of me wanted to go for a run. It actually was worse when I moved - typing for example got me all worked up at the peak of it, and when I walked it felt kind of funny because half of me was slouching and taking my time, and the other part of me was shaking. I couldn't eat much for lunch but I ate noodles when I got back at 2 and I started to feel a bit better. I think I should scale back to half a pill next time, if I even follow this strategy again.

All in all it just makes me feel really stressed out, like I do for the hour before a big speaking test or something. But it also makes me want to work on things, which is what I need right now. I scheduled all the stuff I need to do for P.A., worked some more on the Japan itinerary, figured out where and when I'm going to do my last events and my extra credit for Journalism, wrote some emails, figured out meals and events for the lake house this weekend, coordinated rides for all the people going (the number kept growing), and figured out possible times for the proseminar next year, based on my schedule and the schedules of my Figgies.

I got a high B on the last Stat exam. It would have been a high A, but I lost 10 out of the 12 points I lost on a single written answer problem which absolutely stumped me. (But since I showed my work I recovered 3 of the thirteen points the question was worth :D). I can't get an A in the class, but my B is very solid, and the same goes for Journalism. However, I'm doing extra credit in Journalism and I've been to every review section for Statistics, so there's a chance that my grades will be bumped up to B+'s, which are worth more. Poli Sci is the only class I really have to worry about my C is solid, but... I really don't want a C. :( But poor Anlan! She needs an 87% to pass the class and she hasn't done anywhere near that well on the first tests! (well, obviously.). We're reviewing together tonight. She takes great notes, so I'll come up with helpful memorizing strategies for her and steal her notes. :D German and Spanish are A's.

It's an exciting time, but very stressful, and caffeine is either helping or making it worse, I can't tell. :D

2 comments:

Elizabeth Braun said...

Bs are good hun, Bs are good. I know how frustrating it can be though as I took a human biology course a few years ago and you only needed 70% to get an A. Well, I knew almost all the answers on the final paper (a good 90%, I'm certain) and had got very high marks for my coursework, which counted for 30% of the final mark. BUT: I got a final B. Why? Well, that was the time when there was a big hoo-ha about exam boards marking papers down to keep a wider spread of marks etc. One Chinese friends, whose a straight A student, kept on re-taking one General Studies paper and getting an E each time!

Caffeine is bad! I remember babysitting once and having about 4 cups of coke that they'd left for me. Could I sleep afterwards??

Oh, I forgot to mention, that bit on my being mistaken for an Italian that I put on my language blog was a bit mis-leading. I hadn't actually said anything, it was just that we'd arrived at such a time as made this lady think we'd been there all along and had been to the Italian meeting = she spoke to me in her own language. I need to be clearer next time as it makes me look better than I am!!!=)

Elindomiel said...

Haha. Yeah, I'm staying away from caffeine from now on.

It's somehow reassuring for me to hear the truth about the Italian thing. But it's still kind of nice, even when it's a case of mistaken identity, isn't it? :)

Haha, yeah, B's are fine, but I need an A-B average to keep my scholarships.