March 02, 2009

Thai Thai Thai

Today I went over to Kanchana and Chaowalit's (called, inexplicably, Ju and Prite). They are really nice. :D

We made Pad Thai, which was delicious, and then we sat around and talked for a while. It turns out that, mostly through video games, Prite and I have a lot in common. They also tried to teach me a little bit of Thai.

I have no real idea why, but I've decided to eschew learning random phrases in favour of learning the bona fide basics of the language, which is usually a bad choice, because I'll end up knowing (theoretically) quite a bit about the grammar, history, etc of the language, without really being able to use hardly any of it. Which will make me frustrated, because people will assume I just know a few phrases, when really I know so much more that can't easily be expressed!

But I pick my own poison.

The first tricky thing is tones. I can feel that I'm about halfway (and it hasn't all been smiles and giggles, either) to understanding tones in a very basic, textbook sense. Once I get that, then I can start trying to put them in words. And then in sentences. Oh, god.

If someone says a word to me with a tone, I can parrot it back at them pretty well. But then, ask me to say a word they said earlier, and I've forgotten the tone. My brain just isn't hard wired to consider the tone as a fundamental element of the word meaning.

I guess the good news is that if I ever get the hang of this, it will be much easier to deal with other tone languages. Which is, of course, why I'm putting myself through this.

I like this website:

http://www.fonetiks.org/sou7th.html

Somehow having each tone said twice, with two different words, helps to reinforce it. Still, it's hard... and even just practicing the tones in isolation makes it's own difficulties.

For example, I am using 'maa' to work with. Maa with high tone means horse, with rising tone means dog. So not only do I have to recognize what someone says as (or produce) one of those two tones, I have to remember whether that tone is the rising or the high tone, and which one of those two corresponds with horse and which one corresponds with dog. If I falter at any one of these steps, I am wrong wrong wrong, as wrong as if I had failed at all three. (But terribly, not if I had failed at two. Let's not talk about that. ;))

2 comments:

Elizabeth Braun said...

Sounds like my problem - knowing more *about* languages than really knowing and being able to express myself in them!! I have that issue with many Euro languages. I know kinda how they work and can even read a bit in them, but I can't really speak much of them at all. I guess I'm more of a linguistician than a real linguist.=(

BTW, tones are really no problem once you get used to them. You just have to learn them in context and you soon get used to the idea that a word has more 'aspects' to it in this particular language than in some others we might work with. With Chinese you have sound, tone and character as well as meaning to absorb, but you just get used to dealing with them all at once. What's really unhelpful is when people try to separate them...

re your comment on my blog (thanks for that): You're at least partly right about Chinese folk being able to speak better English than most English speakers can Chinese. It's a problem with most languages really as, for non-native English speakers, it's obvious which language they should learn first and best, but for us native English speakers, it's not so cut and dried.

Add to that that the global economy is in a real mess right now and that many companies in China are foreign owned/part-owned and/or will have their own in-house personnel (foreigners who speak Chinese) who can deal with colleaugues in North America, Europe and Austalasia, and it makes prospects grim outside of the Chinese speaking world!!!

Oh well, I'm not really a career woman, so it doesn't matter to me too much, but it would be nice to have the choice!!!=)

Elindomiel said...

"It's a problem with most languages really as, for non-native English speakers, it's obvious which language they should learn first and best, but for us native English speakers, it's not so cut and dried."

I've thought about this many a time, but I can never decide whether that's a good thing, or a bad thing!