March 17, 2009

It Looks So Innocent

I finished my lovely, if unorthodox, tomato-chicken-noodle-rice soup, so it was time to cook again. The other day at the grocery store I bought mushrooms and green beans, so I knew I wanted to use those, and that was about it. I also thought it might be nice to make an Asian soup.

I came home and started working. It is beginning to astonish me that we are allowed rice cookers in our dorm rooms. For the record, anyone who thinks that it is impossible to cook things in a dorm room has not realized the potential of their rice cooker. I still haven't figured out a way to make pizza or pie here, but just about anything else is possible. :D

Today I sauteed mushrooms. In my dorm room...




This worked remarkably well. I decided to season it with some chili pepper. And I added some rice.
Juices started leaking out everywhere and it started to smell good. I was a little bit terrified because I had no idea where this was going. I haven't even really cooked mushrooms myself before.

After the mushrooms seemed sort of done (didn't know what to look for), I added water so that the rice could puff up. And I decided to use some curry and ginger.


Then I added the green beans, and a can of coconut milk that I had lying around. It tasted too creamy then, almost like dessert. I wasn't sure how much spice I would need to get it back to the pre-coconut milk flavour level. The answer - 1 Heckuvalot. I added curry, pepper, salt, sugar, red pepper, garlic, and ginger in copious amounts.

And then, it was perfect... :D
It makes me sweat all over the place, but it's really yummy. Mayumi likes it too.

2 comments:

Jimmy Archer said...

From your second pic the mush are done. In the first one they are mostly, but there is a bit of white edge that might be from the camera flash.

For future experiments feel free to put in a bit of rice so they toast in mush flavored oil. Depending on the sensitivity of your buds and what else you put in it, the toasted mush flavor may get lost.

Instead of coconut milk try almond milk. I am told it is far less sweet. Also, don't add in a full can (if that's what you did). You can add in maybe half and see how that goes.

Try grating frozen ginger. No painful surprises and it disappears pretty well.

Also grab some mint leaves and toss one or two in just before you dish out.

Anonymous said...

That looks yuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!!!

care to save some for me? XD