March 10, 2009

AMG Presentations

I spent all day at the local high school today, mostly giving presentations. 10 in all, half an hour each... and by the end of it my throat was sore, my legs felt as if they might collapse under me, my back ached, and I felt as if I was using the very last of my powers to keep a smile on my face and keep talking about why kids should study languages as if it was the first presentation, as if I was still thrilled and passionate and... ahhh...

It was a long day, but good, and those few good students have the power to encourage you as much as the sleepers discourage you.

One of the teachers actually asked me whether I had taken a speech class! She said that I did a brilliant job with the presentation. :D And the Latin students were really friendly, asking tons of questions, so I felt comfortable around them and it became less of a presentation and more of a conversation. They asked me where I was from with a sort of awe at one point, and I came down to earth a bit and laughed, saying, "Over in St. Louis".

"She seems almost like an alien, doesn't she?" Said the teacher.

But she said it like a compliment. :)

Ah, I came home tired to the bone... you're welcome, AMG!

No comments: