March 02, 2009

Random Language Exercise

I was bored in Statistics, so I decided to write "I have a dog" in as many languages as I could. I'm pretty confident about them, except Nynorsk (which I don't study, I'm just sort of guessing and extrapolating) and Japanese, but I think I would be understood in those as well. :D

English: I have a dog.
Faroese: Eg havi ein hund.
Norwegian Bokmål: Jeg har en hund.
Norwegian Nynorsk: Eg har ei bikkje.
German: Ich habe einen Hund.
Spanish: Yo tengo un perro.
Italian: Io ho un cane.
Latin: Ego habeo canem.
Finnish: Minulla on koira.
Japanese: Watashi wa inu ga imasu.

It made me feel really lazy when I realized that the word order and everything lines up perfectly, even the articles, for the first 7 languages. Latin's only change is the lack of an article, and only with Finnish and Japanese do we get weird.

No comments: