March 09, 2009

Like Nails on a Chalkboard

There's a sort of voice the females here use. Especially the sorority and sorority type girls, especially when talking to boys, or when speaking in front of class, but all of us, really, some time or another. It's horrible to me, like nails on a chalkboard. I don't know how to describe it...

It's one part whining, one part hypocritically mixed phony self doubt and confidence, one part sickly sweet.

There are times when I think that I simply can't listen to it anymore. And then, now and then, I catch myself doing it.

Surely such a habit would have been even more widespread at Parkway West? But now I notice it, now more than ever. I don't know whether it is living with foreigners, and becoming accustomed to strange accents and speech patterns as a part of people's voices, or whether it is some other unknown thing...

But when I hear someone talking like this, my stomach twists and I would prefer anything - a nice Germanic accent, a soft Mediterranean accent, a funny Asian accent, a twangy Texan accent, a hick accent like Laura and Tabi and I indulge in now and then, a striking city accent... anything but this voice...

Slightly screwed up, Jashen? Hahaha. You're right, of course. And I'm willing to bet that my dislike of this voice, whatever fancy words I try to use to turn the world against it, is initially rooted in some hurt. But there it is. And I have to get away.

2 comments:

Jimmy Archer said...

Respond in a tight Scottish accent with intensity, precision, and confidence.

Jimmy Archer said...

Then at the very last word use that voice very deliberately, making sure that you raise the pitch of the last syllable (or draw it out another syllable).

:P