November 17, 2005

Tense Situations

So after all those personality tests I took, I've been wondering... how do I really react in tense situations? It was hard, at first, for me to assess this facet of my being. How many tense situations, after all, does a straight laced fifteen year old in Missouri get herself into? As the day went on, I remembered a few things that I'd like to present to myself and too my fans as evidence.

When children I am babysitting (or are in my sunday school, or are at girl scout camp) are bad, I never get mad. I just calmly send them to bed or time out or the camp director.

When my dog was paralyzed and screamed like bloody murder when I picked her up one night, I said nothing but just continued to slowly pick her up.

Time limits don't fluster me overmuch. I often look at the clock, but keep very mechanical and methodical time measurements instead of worrying.

I always lead my group through any given haunted house, and when I do get a little unnerved my responses have included (The italics being when they put the chainsaw a few inches from my neck):
"Ai Elbereth!"
"You Need a Tic-Tac!"
*Hiss-caughing back at them, heavy on the phlegm*
Theres no blade, theres no blade
"Oh, yes yes! Me, me!"
"Ah.. Ai... Hva heter du??"

When I put on my shoe one day at Camp, I noticed a shiny, interestingly shaped Black Widow spider (Yes, that's the most poisonous kind in Missouri) on my sock. Surprising even myself, looking back at the incident five minutes later, I said at the time: "Hey, Muddy, I have a black widow on my sock. Wan't to catch it in a jar to show the little kids what to watch out for?"

Except for the last, these are hardly textbook examples of tense situations, but I take what I can get. I think they might reflect, to an extent, how I would act with something more important and stressful. Who knows, really? Just felt like getting some thoughts out.

1 comment:

Elindomiel said...

Oh, Bikes! That reminds me of the day I learned about handbrakes...


After crossing a busy two lane street, sailing over a curb, and down a wooden hill. I didn't hit anything, somehow...