November 27, 2005

Stars

I wrote this in my notebook at my Lakehouse to post here. Strange how different my writing style is on paper.

Now I know where I'll take Stian to see the stars - and Austin too, if as he says there are no stars in Virginia. It must be terrible to live a life without stars. Here they were more than hard little lights in the sky; they were blazing. I might have felt them if I had stretched out my arms far enough and let the starlight fall on them.

But even out here, there's so much light pollution. And even at Blue Mountain, there are traces. I love Missouri, but I wonder if I can spend my whole life here, choosing between barbed wire fences and trailer trash or the richer life with bright lights and highways paved over with oil. I want to get out somewhere where I can really see the stars shine. Is there still such a place? Will there be one for my children and my grandchildren?

Surely the gods give with one hand and take with the other. Must the age of man also be one without stars or beauty? Must every brightly lit house wink out a star?

2 comments:

Elindomiel said...

Somehow I thought that might be your recommendation. I don't like Lakes so much, anyway. I'll take a river anyday. I was practically born on a river. ^^ Canoe Trips for the All-Time win.

Elindomiel said...

What about a bathtub?