December 21, 2008

Scar Tissue

I guess most people are surprised to hear that when they exert themselves, what happens is that their muscles tear, microscopically, and that it is the rebuilding of these muscles that gives definition and greater size. What is comes down to is this - strength is scar tissue.

It works the same way with the heart. And this is how the heart grows, breaking again and again, in lesser ways or greater ways, and rebuilding.

It wasn't more than two months ago that my family brought Tidbit up to Mizzou, and Jorge and Mayumi and I went out to play with her, and chase her around. The sun was bright and warm and the leaves were still green on the trees. Tidbit dashed around through those that had already fallen and Mayumi laughed.

I feel old, because I am a different person than I was then. I was a different person then than I was last summer. And last summer I was a different person than I was at graduation.

And the difference is scar tissue.

1 comment:

Rex Venom said...

Everyday we live, we grow with experience, and change; becoming closer to the final person we will be. The one that dies.
BUT until then, smile and wave!
Rock on!