September 15, 2008

A Lively Debate with Peter

Peter: Sowna? Sowna?

Miranda: Yes. Sauna.

Peter: Don’t you mean Sawna?

Miranda: Okay, learn some Finnish before you start correcting my pronunciation, please.

Peter: Alright, I’ll learn Finnish as long as you learn all the Afrikaans loanwords. How do you pronounce the name of the famous system of racial segregation that was used in South Africa from 1948 until the mid nineties?

Miranda: I don’t speak Afrikaans

Peter: Well, I don’t speak Finnish

Laura: He has a point

Miranda: Not so, given the fact that I am not challenging his pronunciation, but rather he is challenging mine, when in fact the Oxford English Dictionary lists both pronunciations as correct, and I have a good reason to stick to mine as I prefer the original pronunciation of the people who invented the custom.

Tom: The Oxford English Dictionary does not qualify as an acceptable reference in Texas

Miranda: Unfortunately for Peter, his presence here does not make this Texas.

Peter: So? I could call the Texas State Rangers right now and they would drive up and shoot all of you.

Miranda: …. Okay! Well, Tabitha, please knock on my door before you go to the rec center. :D

1 comment:

Jimmy Archer said...

Nice ending! hahaha