September 05, 2008

More About the Faroe Islands

We have to research study abroad options for our seminar thingy. On a whim, I decided to research two somewhat obscure places that I'm interested in on the microscopic chance that they have exchange programs. That's right: Bhutan and the Faroe Islands.

Apparently if you want to study in Bhutan you have the unlimited possibilities inherent in having to study Himalayan and Buddhist studies for a year at some Indian University and then being permitted to take a week long field trip in Bhutan. Interesting, but yeah, not really plausible. ;_;

After about half an hour of research, the Faroe Islands look a little more promising. They have a summer program (Wikipedia says it's annual, but some more official site said biannual) that accepts a small number of foreign students to study linguistic and cultural stuff. ^^ Which is actually kind of nice, because I probably wouldn't want to spend more than two months there anyways.

Next summer they have one, and then, if the one website is to be trusted, the next will be in 2011. Which is probably a decent thing to shoot for. Knowledge of Faroese is not necessary, but on the form you can check "none" or "some", so I figure it will give me a leg up (I might almost draw even with the normal Scandinavians XD) if I can honestly say that I've introduced myself to the phonetics and grammar and read a few texts.

I had the brilliant idea of using the Faroese Wikipedia to practice. I knew I was in trouble when I saw that they recommend going to the Faroese postal service website and reading their history of the stamp collection for practice. Sure enough, there were only a few articles on the Faroese Wikipedia long enough to merit 10 cents a page to print them out. I snagged the 8 page article on the Faroe Islands themselves, which in all honesty will last me a while. After that I can always combine a few articles to make a page. I've also found a dictionary for reading help... good old Freelang. :D We'll see how comprehensive it is.

No comments: