July 27, 2006

Writing

So, I was really confused about pacing and logic in the first few chapters of my story, but I've been doing a lot of tweaking, a little painful (but necessary) cutting, and actually, a lot of adding, and I think I've gotten somewhere. After writing or extensively rewriting almost 2,000 words tonight, with some prework and organization for what will amount to the first 7 chapters, I really do think I've gotten somewhere. It's not perfect, and I don't know who will be interested; I can't make that call myself, of course. To say anything, I'd have to say it's a little heavily influenced by Memoirs of a Geisha, which is worrying, but I don't think I'm letting that element get too out of hand. Besides; no one is going to read a novel I write at this age anyway; it's just great practice in writing something that's (hopefully) readable. :)

2 comments:

Jimmy Archer said...

Good effort.

The problem is to find a competent, sophisticated writer who has time and cares about you. :\ Talk about dwindling probabilites.

But then your head would be all messed up because you'd think a lot in terms of themes. And you'd know so much more history than the average person that they'd be totally clueless when you try to explain the significance of something... how does this gift to the king relate to this part again? :S

Elindomiel said...

:P Yeah, yeah. I've never done that well by the mentor system, anyhow. Most of the things I've learned, I've taught myself - not that other's weren't involved at times.