July 07, 2006

Sun Poisoning

So I was out at the lake all week, right? And it was sunny and bright and fun, and whenever the boat went really fast, it would spray up all sorts of water on you, but the droplets would vanish so quickly in the heat and the wind that you could literally count to five and they'd be gone. Anyhow, on the last day, it was cool and overcast, and I amused myself by wearing one of those summer holiday hats, with the brim and the faded blue ribbon, a knot and then little forked ends trailing... You know what I'm talking about. So between that and the implied safety of the day... (I know that cloud cover doesn't stop UV rays, but it's so hard to actually believe...) Let's just say I decided to trust to staying in the shade to protect my skin.

It didn't work. And I've been so long without a sun burn... without anything more than the slightest bit of reddish colour, almost bringing me to normal skin tone, on my forearms and lower legs. It's been so long, I guess it didn't know how to handle the sudden radiation. Or perhaps it was because of my mostly anglo saxon heritage with the hint of Native American, I've heard that can be a risk factor too. At any rate, I had an itchy rash. Called Photodermatis. I felt like a giant mosquito bite.

Showering and etc didn't help, and by that evening I had a definite SUN BURN. Gah! I could kill myself. I've been doing a good job, for so long... But there it is. Luckily I put sunscreen on my face and chest, so they still look lovely. And I happened to be wearing a one piece, which shielded yet more skin. :P It's really only my shoulders and back, and a little on my lower chest.

Funny thing is, it doesn't even hurt like I remember sun burns hurting... and no hot-shower-feels-like-acid. Just the itch...

No comments: