July 24, 2006

Mud Children

I'm working VBS this year, again. The theme this year is "Dig It!": digging for buried treasure, and the colour of the shirts is a brown and beige. It looks exactly like a white shirt which has been fully immersed in mud, and I would know because once I swam around in mud so deep I could float in it, and of course the shirt was permanantly ruined.

The children all kind of look the same from head to toe, because a lot of them have nice little tans, and Mira and Grant especially have the most amazing gold skin tone. Lucy's a lightish shade of black, and Paige is just about as dark skinned as you can be and still look Chinese. Other than those two, nearly all of them were blonde as toddlers, but now that they're going into first grade their hair is darkening, turning dishwater blonde like everyone else in America. That's what happens in a melting pot, you know. You get mud children. :P

I'm working with Sharon Peebles, who is alright I guess. She's very happy to have an extra pair of hands out of me, but has a tendency to treat her volunteers like hired work she has half a mind to fire, and also I think she doesn't like me. The only other one working Kindergarten is Laura. I'm not sure how old she is; older than me, but not an adult yet. She's very friendly, but she doesn't talk much; just laughs at whatever I say or whatever anyone does. I don't know how useful she will be. I'll have to find out.

So that's out team for "Dig It!": Me, Sharon, Laura, and the Mud Children.

No comments: