June 06, 2006

Celebration City

We went to Celebration City, a good time was had by all. Lots of rides, none of them were breathtaking, but that's life. Josh made things tons more fun by being so personable and talking to everyone, using his tie and t-shirt combination as a conversation starter more times than once.

At one point, we stopped and got drinks, then Will was like, "Oh, we have to run!" So we did, our drinks going everywhere. I had like a quarter of my lemonade left when we got there, and on the way I had spilled another quarter on Joshua's back. Sorry! :P

We pulled into the... I have no idea what the word is. They have a big clifflike wall, and they spray water up onto it, and then they project onto the water. Yes, we ran into there, and there was a very patriotic show. And actually, it was very good, because it even made me feel a little patriotic.

The first half was what I hate about patriotic shows, which means a lot of flag stuff... "Oh my god, we have a flag... let's flip out... a flag..." and lots of random stuff like dog's playing frisbee, as if to say that family value's and picnics are unique to America. Then there was sort of an intermission of army, navy, air force, marine, and coast guard propaganda, the worst part of the show, even in terms of cinematic quality.

Then things got better; they loosened us up with some singing (Elvis, the Beatles, the Supremes, things everyone knows) and some dancing (Cotton Eyed Joe, The Hokie Pokie, The Electric Slide, the Macarena, the Chicken Dance, things everyone can do). I was in such a good mood I even tried the most challenging dance they had, the twist. The results were embarrassing, but it was dark. And Alex (little kid) could jump so far! It was amazing, he looked like a Jackrabbit in the Cha Cha Slide. He must practice that.

So I was in a good mood when they got to what any patriotic show should, in my opinion, be made up of; things in our history and culture that we should be proud of as Americans. This part was the shortest, but at least it was there. Best line in the show was,

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

And I clapped, so did other people. Yay for History. About this time we saw some people we had talked to in front of the Ferris Wheel earlier. We recognized them by their bright red Cardinals outfits. The mother was a long time midwesterner, and visited Branson every year as a child. Her husband was Palestinian. They had the wonderful fortune to watch "Not Without my Daughter" on their wedding night... not the best choice, eh? :P But she laughed.

"No, he's Christian... so the biggest trouble I have with him is he want's me to name the kids like "Loufa" and I'm like, I'm not naming my daughter after a sponge. But his parents are Muslim and my parents are Jehova's Witness, so things do get interesting once in a while..."

Yes. That. That's what I've been looking for. Could it be I've found it where I never thought to look?

No comments: