January 24, 2010

Goodbye!

This is a post for Esther, Amy, and Allan - my three friends from last semester who were exchange students. They are now back home in Germany, New Zealand, and Scotland, respectively.

Esther! My first memory of you is when you first came to live in South hall and I basically pounced on you and invited you to Stammtisch. :) It was a pleasure to get to know you. I'll always remember your sarcastic looks and out of nowhere funny one-liners. We had so much fun in St. Louis, at the Lake, and even around South hall watching Grey's Anatomy or studying in the lounge. I know I brought up Damaris a lot but I hope you never felt like a 'replacement' German - in my heart you are Esther and no one else. :) This is one of the last pictures I have of you - it's from the night before you went back home, when we were goofing around at our Bus Stop Burger King. I really hope I'll meet you again in Germany sometime soon!

Amy! You're the first New Zealander I've met in my life, and if you're any sort of representation of your country, it must be an awesome place. I loved how laid back and fun you were. I remember that you were always up for anything, whether it was playing goalie on South Hall's soccer team, spending New Year's Eve in Times Square, sleeping out on the dock, or going swimming in the lake at midnight in November. I'll remember all those epic times, as well as stocking up on loads of candy from Mizzou Market and watching Grey's Anatomy in the lounge. In this picture we were making fun of the height difference between us - even though you're not really looking at the camera I somehow feel that it captures your personality well. Good luck becoming New Zealand's top journalist! I have no doubt you'll get there.


Allan! It's hard to sum up our friendship in a short paragraph. It took us a month or two of living in the same building before we even properly met. Then, at first the only thing we knew we had in common was Indian food. After we got really lost dropping Zahra off at a friends house, we ended up talking all night, and never really stopped talking afterwards. You were there for most of my memories of last semester, but what I'll miss the most are our long walks and conversations. Highlights? Walking the MKT, your teaching everyone to Scottish dance in Times Square, watching the Missouri river freeze right before our eyes, actually seeing the mules, and, of course, running through Banjo Kazooie and Gauntlet Legends on a steady diet of India Packets and Furikake. Here we are in the Nintendo Store - oddly fitting. I'll see you soon - get ready to walk across Scotland.

No comments: