January 31, 2010

Deutsche Reisetrends

For Modern German Culture I have to give a presentation (In German, naturally) about German Travel Trends and in particular how they differ from their American counterparts. I picked the topic because it's of interest to me, and I wanted to devote a good chunk of it towards the concept of Youth Travel which I see as a fairly substantial cultural difference, but I didn't find information on Google presenting itself to me belly up, so after about an hour of halfhearted unplanned research I was beginning to get nervous.

I can't over-recommend making an outline in times like this. As soon as I started putting up 1's, 2's, a's and b's, the outline of the project fell together neatly. I have a plan, I have a goal, I have neat little topics that will be much easier to research, and a full quarter of the mental stress and work is done. My goal is to have the research done tonight, and a new organization put together including the data and specifics. If I have more energy, I'll make my powerpoint and informal script tonight - otherwise I have until Wednesday.

1.) Germans – Kings of Travel

a.) Travel culture (Goethe to Status Symbol)

b.) Proximity to cool/foreign places

c.) Vacation time


2.) Where/When/How Germans Travel


a.) Common domestic destinations

b.) Common international destinations

c.) Package Tours

d.) Public Transport


3.) Youth Travel


a.) The experiences of German/European friends

b.) My experiences

c.) Types of Youth Travel: The class trip, the friend trip, study abroad, the gap year

d.) Why Americans are Afraid

e.) What Germans/Other Europeans think of the benefits

f.) Practical Advantages German Youth Have: Proximity, Experience, Public Transport

No comments: