January 08, 2010

Computer Problems...

I have a lot of things I want to blog about, like...

- New York
- In Particular, New Years Eve at Times Square
- New Years Resolutions
- Florida Winter (XD)

The problem is that my laptop still won't work with the internet, and is causing other problems as well. This is mostly my fault because I haven't been able to bring myself to reboot everything yet. Yes, I am using the internet right now - after all, my family's computer still connects, and I'm home at the moment. But sitting in the foyer on the family computer feels fine for checking email and facebook, but I don't feel comfortable enough to write out long blog posts or emails to friends, so it's making me the world's worst correspondent.

Sorry, everyone. My first New Years Resolution is to do everything I can to get my computer in working order, starting with backing everything up on a friend's external hard drive (I already have it on one, but I don't trust them enough to let that be the only copy of all my photos, etc) and rebooting. TigerTech has promised to make me a priority if this doesn't work, so I'll give that a go too. Hopefully things will be up and running before the semester really gets underway.

The worst part is that my computer has started screwing up in new and exciting ways recently. For example, having occasional but very worrying trouble booting up, and not recognizing it's own cd drive about 1/4 of the time. I'm not giving up hope yet, but it may be that my computer is toast, and I'll need a new one.

I'm not eager to buy a new computer, but I could afford one similar to the one I have now, if it came down to it. This one was about 1000$ and, until recently, was a totally fine, totally competent machine. The problem is, I was hoping to have this one last me another year and a half, through this coming semester and the first year of study abroad, because after that, heading into my junior and senior years, I am required by the journalism school to buy a much nicer, more expensive computer.

It seems a waste to buy that computer now, and drag it through three unecessary semesters... but it also seems silly to buy another computer for just a year and a half.

For now, though, I'm just going to concentrate on fixing the laptop I already have...

No comments: