May 12, 2009

Rice Cooker Clam Chowder

I needed comfort food today. (Allergies do that. :P) So I made some clam chowder. In my rice cooker, naturally. I started with an ordinary can of the stuff... I think it was Whole Foods brand but it didn't look very different than any other ready to eat kind when it came out of the can. I added a can of clams, partially drained, that I had lying around. I wanted to add some milk, but I didn't have any, so I added about half a cup of cream and almost a cup of water. It is /very/ rich but /very/ delicious. Then I added just a bit of oregano, as well as a clove of garlic that I chopped up real quick. I didn't get as much of the garlic on my hands as usual, yay! I'd never put garlic in clam chowder and I was afraid to because I have a bit of an addiction to garlic and sometimes even put it where it doesn't belong, but oh my, it made a huge and positive difference here. It's interesting for me, because I normally improvise with Asian-flavour foods which have a lot of spices, etc, and you can easily add 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and barely notice it. Here I added one and the warmth of garlic suffuses the whole soup, because there aren't any other strong flavours for it to compete with. This is probably the best clam chowder I've had outside of a fancy seafood restaurant. I'm actually going to write down the approximate ingredients:

- 1 Can Clam Chowder
- 1 Can of Clams (drain partially, leave only about 1/4 cup of clam juice)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3/4 cup Water
- Sprinkle of Oregano (to taste)
- 1 clove of Garlic

P.S.) I like my clam chowder thing. If you like it thicker, add less water, more potatoes, and even some flour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what setting did you use for the rice cooker?