May 11, 2009

Exit Strategy

For a week that was supposed to be empty and easy, I'm finding that I have a surprisingly large number of things to do, divided into four categories: Finals, Next Year Job, Japan Preparations, and Packing.

Today I Planned To Do:
- Begin packing.
- Talk to Laura, figure out when we're doing what for Japan.
- Get about halfway through my Spanish essay.
- Study a bit for German final tomorrow.

Well, I got /a lot/ more packing done than I expected or planned on. I'm about half done with that. The room still looks like a mess but it's not nearly the dense mess that it was. I did all my laundry and dishes, packed 1 huge box and 7 medium boxes (which I got free from Dobbs), and damn near emptied my closet. Laura and I made a run to my storage bay and dropped off the sleeping bags she still had from our trip to the lake, as well as the big box of clothes, a couple other boxes of bags and such, and a lot of cookware - my frying pan, my pot, my strainer, my truly horrifyingly enormous metal pot, my crockpot, my cutting board and all my cookbooks. Almost all of my books are packed now, as are all of my movies. I reckon I only have an hour or two more of work which I can actually do before Friday, since I still have to sleep, eat, and clothe myself here until then.

It's all very complicated because I essentially have six categories to sort things into:

1.) Things that are going to my storage bay for a pretty long time.
2.) Things that are going to my storage bay and returning to campus with me next year.
3.) Things that are going to my lake house for a pretty long time.
4.) Things that are going to my lake house and returning to campus with me next year.
5.) Things that are going to Florida for a pretty long time.
6.) Things that are going to Florida and returning to campus with me next year.

The main deciding factors are...

A.) Do I need it this summer?
Yes? ---- Florida
No? ---- Read On
B.) Will it die if left in extreme heat?
Yes? ---- Lake House
No? ---- Storage Bay

Keep in mind that 'this summer' includes Japan, and you've got a recipe for a major headache. Basically though, I am assuming that I don't need my cooking or dorm room living stuff this summer or in Japan, and not worrying about it. This leaves books, of which I'll want a few in Florida (can't take too many, though), and one or two in Japan, and clothes, of course, which are needed everywhere. I'm trying to sort clothes now, and I'm leaving some of the other stuff until the lake this weekend. For example, all of my books are going to the lake, but I'll take out the ones I want at that point, when I unpack them. There are also things I'll want to pack for Japan that would be a major to think up right now, because I'm already dealing with 100 different things. Mostly, though, these aren't expensive or a big deal, so I'll probably survive even if I have to buy new ones. (Passport holder, etc) I need to NOT forget to pack a good bag, though, in addition to my suitcase, for day trips. Probably my Marimekko bag.

I also have Japan almost wrapped up. All I need now is to buy my rail pass and probably a rentaphone for when I'm over there. Laura and I have talked about the itinerary and different options pretty extensively and we're on the same page for almost everything, which is great. I think we'll travel well together.

For Tomorrow: Take German final. Write Spanish essay.

That's it. Seriously. I need to get the Spanish essay done by a reasonable hour, and I neglected it today.

For Wednesday: Spanish final, Statistics Final, Racquetball in the evening with Ju.

For Thursday: Maybe a bit more packing if I'm bored. Otherwise, just sitting around. Most of my friends are gone. That's okay, though, I can always read/otherwise entertain myself. Also I have to make and send in my syllabus, but that's the work of an hour, two at the most. I also need to see Ben about being the AMG secretary next year. I'll probably play Racquetball with Ju again.

For Friday: Make sure Mayumi wakes up for her flight. See her off. Depending on the time, go to Ju/Prite's graduation. Finish packing everything and clean off furniture/floor. Have Melissa and Dad help me put everything in the car. Leave.

No comments: