May 07, 2009

I Pick the Sea

I've never had to deal with allergies and finals at the same time before, and it's miserable. Luckily I think the worst is over for the school year. I have one more essay to do tonight (German) and one due Wednesday (Spanish) and two low stress finals (German and Statistics) on Tuesday. That's it. Other than that I have just random tasks to do, like getting my external hard drive fixed, buying a new power cord, finalizing a few of the last details for Japan (I have two more hotels to book, and one hotel stay to extend, and I want to order my rail pass) and... erm... sleeping? Haha.

Oh yeah, and I have to move out, which is a daunting task. :) I'll probably get a good start Wednesday and finish up on Friday. My dad is coming in the evening with the car and boxes, and without the boxes I'm limited as to what I can actually pack, but I can organize things before then. There's a lot going on right now and I'm really looking forward to having some time to deal.

I'm long term and short term exhausted. Sick of allergies. Sick of feeling trapped and all that shit. I want to relax. There is the sea longing, for example...

I have an exceptional imagination. Today I took a different turn than normal from Journalism and found myself looking up a hill towards the main University. I was actually looking at part of the Business building but I didn't quite recognizing it, just seeing walls and trees behind. And what trees! I never, ever, ever have too many trees. Every kind in every season amazes me. I don't know. :) But these were summer green, and the sun was shining through their leaves.

This is what I saw: red brick walls, bright green leaves behind, and then nothing. The angle of the landscape left what was beyond to my imagination. I imagined a wide green field. Perhaps some low and unobtrusive sand coloured ruins. They weren't central to the theme. Beyond, the sea... calm, blue, crystal clear, waiting. A few families. Picnics. Swim Diapers. Soft Laughter. A yellow lab was playing at the edge of the water.

I saw it in my mind's eye and more than that I felt it. I felt as if that was beyond the wall and the trees and that changed the flavour of the street I was on entirely. I felt contented and relaxed. I wonder if it's not my adjusting to the move to Florida, but I think it's something more than that too.

I think you can tell something about someone's personality by whether they prefer mountains or the sea. Ideally, I'd like to have both, but if I have to choose, mountains win with no contest. For me, the sea is too calm, too relaxed... a place to lay down and let the world pass by. It's pleasant, sure, but we have only so much time in our lives, and I'd rather spend it on my feet.

But right now, I pick sea. Because sometimes even those who go go go need to recharge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vit hava bæði fjøll og hav í Føroyum!.. ;) lol