May 13, 2009

No Tears

Laura left today and no tears - I'll see her in about two months, after all, and they'll be busy two months... no time to waste away in longing. I cry easily but with a reason - leaving people in foreign countries who I may never meet again, graduating with my best friend since 3rd grade and knowing things would never be the same again... not to say goodbye to (even good) friends who I'll see again in just a few short months.

I won't cry for Tabi either - same reason, although it will be three months in her case. This is the last night that we'll share a wall, though, which is an interesting thought...

It's depressing that I'm one of the last ones to leave, because I have to watch everyone else leave. But really it's just vaguely depressing, not sad. I'm ready to go home for the summer, and for a number of complex and various reasons I'm not going to weep buckets even about any of the foreigners who are leaving, although I probably won't see them again.

Will there be those I think about fondly from time to time? Sure. Am I happy that I'll see a certain five of them in Japan this summer, and say a better goodbye then? Sure. But even the two who I've developed the (erm... most complex?) relationships with, Mayumi and Jorge, aren't going to make my cry, and with most of the others I've only had surface relationships. Jorge and I had our fun, but he's been super awkward ever since and I'm ready to not have to look at him anymore. Mayumi has been a great roommate, but I'll see her in Japan this summer, and afterall we've never really been close friends.

I WILL miss Ju and Prite, who may or may not be back next fall, and will certainly leave by next winter. They've suddenly become my closest foreign friends, and I will really and truly miss them.

But you know what? It's okay that there are only two, because I have enough people to miss from back home already. :)

No comments: