January 01, 2007

Yksi and Kaksi, and Dinner with Christy

Today I went to Starbucks with Christy. It was half study session, half hang out. She got Chai, a sort of spiced tea that even I, who have no taste for either coffee or it's British counterpart, admit is rather drinkable. Especially the pumpkin kind that comes out in fall. I got a white hot chocolate. I love that stuff. It needs to be more mass marketed.

We did Government Study and she took my friend quiz. She tied with Austin, although I gave her one of the answers when she had it narrowed down to 50-50. I was studying the Finnish for words 1-10, and joking about how random they all were, and how I really had to get creative. For number 6, for example, Kuusi, I imagined six Koozie Cups. No, my memory was not really so perfect as to keep the image of all six of them firmly in its memory, but the effort in doing so managed to tie Kuusi to Koozie and Koozie to Six quickly and efficiently. I honestly have no idea how it works, but if you can tie a word to an English word, it really doesn't matter what English word, it will help you remember the English meaning. I'll study it someday. (Note: This can be hard with Japanese and Chinese.)

The fun began with Kaksi, I was thinking of two, you see, and Kaksi... Two Roosters! Of course. Translate that into 'horny' teenage girl, and you have a well remembered word. So Christy was proud of knowing Kaksi, so I made her learn Yski as well, so she could count to two in Finnish. When she proudly told her mom this, of course, her mom that she said, "Count to two and finish", and wasn't impressed. She also learned Kumennen because I put her to work helping me come up with a memory trick. This one was even lamer, but again, did the trick. Cum (Latin for with), Men, In. Withmenin. Even pulling in the pitstop in Latin, it actually works. Huh.

Yksi - Kaksi - Kolme - Neljä - Viisi - Kuusi - Seitsemän - Kahdeksan - Yhdeksän - Kumennen

After this, we decided to watch "An Inconvenient Truth", that movie Al Gore made about Global Warming. I wasn't sure what to expect, but Christy seemed fired up about it, and I respect her sense of humour if nothing else. (We both are very, very easily amused by banal grammar mistakes, etc.) But, I didn't want to watch it crowded around her laptop, no matter how proud of it she was.

We hadn't eaten, so we went to Dierbergs and bought a Pomegranate, Mussels, Sole Stuffed with Lobster and Shrimp, Italian Bread, and Two Heads of Broccoli. Oh, we're healthy and capable girls. I paid for the mussels myself, since I was the only one who wanted them and didn't even make them that night. Other than that, we split the cost, which was fair because even though I kept the leftovers, I made most of the food, so it worked out. I know Christy probably wasn't even thinking that deeply on the whole matter, and I love her for that, because petty people suck, but I never want to be a freeloader.

It was a good dinner and cheap for as much as we got. The only letown was the Pomegranate, which seemed to our admittedly less than expert eyes to be... moldy. Not all of it was thus 'infected', but to be safe we threw the whole thing out. We also made fun of the box on the Fish, which listed under ingredients, right next to each other, "...Lobster, Lobster Meat..."

Yes, it was a fun evening, but I don't want my serious review of "An Inconvenient Truth" meshed with my ramblings, so I'll post it seperately later. :D

No comments: