October 05, 2006

To Speak of Love at Lunchtime

You've ruined Macbeth for me, you know.


Have I?

Well, it's just the bit about the Norwegian. All I can see is Stian...

Did you ever see Stian, then?

No. What does he look like?

Well. He's blond haired and blue-green eyed and pretty. But no. I must cleanse myself of that.

Why? Don’t you speak?

Well, yes, but… well, things are over. It’s how they are.

I don’t believe that. It was too perfect. Besides, I finally reconcile myself to Chao’s boy and yours, and you go and get over them!

Well, I’m not quite over mine, and that’s the problem. Mostly, but not quite.


A pause.


But it just doesn’t make sense! I finally get used to it, and…

Layla! This isn’t about you! You egotistical… beast! It’s for me to get used to! Don’t make it your problem!

It’s just so perfect. I’m sure the moment you two meet everything will be fine.


A pause.


He is pretty, though. And his brother is totally ripped. I saw him coming out of the shower once with just a towel on…

Miranda! My respect for your maturity has just plummeted!

Layla, if you saw this, your eyes would flutter for a moment. Even yours. I swear it. Even if it didn’t do a thing, even if you didn’t consciously feel it, it would be there. It’s hardwired. (She glares)


A pause.


Alright, I’ll concede that, maybe… deep inside the heart of the id, only because it’s an accepted societal…

Oh, Layla, trust me on this one. He was ripped and tan and STEAMING. Literally.

Miranda! No! I was about to concede, but no longer!

Layla, I don’t… didn’t love him because he was pretty, you know.

I know that.


A pause.


It’s just that you’ve never been in love. Someday you’ll understand.

Don’t give me that crap about Rousseau, either…

No! It isn’t even fangirlism! I know fangirlism! This, is deeper…

Layla, my respect for you has just plummeted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, this is something i wish that you'd videotaped.

Elindomiel said...

No, I won't. It's too funny to talk about. I've never had anyone not laugh. Except for Layla. And she blushes. Deeply.