October 05, 2006

Army of Slaves

Muahahaha! Alright, they're not slaves. Just useful friends. Or even just interesting friends.

The point of this post is that the moment I surveyed my math class on the first day of school, all my mind registered was the fact that there were no less than 3 foreigners in it. And, I knew that unless they were completely standoffish or rude snobs, I wanted to get to know them.

Now I gloat over my success! The key is to not act creepy. Don't act like you don't want to be friends, but don't particularly act like you do. It scares people off. Also, don't just target the foreigners. They'll figure out you have ulterior motives. Like sucking out their languages or souls.

Part of key one concerns the fact that, unless you take drastic measures, they will sooner or later discover you are a culture or language freak. Just don't be the one to tell them, and act as if it is perfectly natural if they ask. This does NOT mean blowing it off completely or changing the subject hastily. Just act like they've asked you about... I don't know, Racquetball or your favourite books or something.

The next part is that you can't just target all three of them and group them together. They're actually individuals. I started with Kaline because she sat near me and was the friendliest. On a totally different road, I started in on Agnese, who was staying with my friend Christy. The other Brazilian came last. I think her name is Lucia... maybe? I really, really should know... Ah well.

So. Now you're all friends. You say hi in the halls, maybe stop by at lunch, talk between classes. Moving things to the next level: Kaline and I are going to try to hit the Omnimax when I'm back from Greece and she's back from Branson. And, the wonder of the whole project? Agnese approached me about Italian! We're going to do a language exchange after school! We've been jokingly saying she'll teach me Italian and I'll teach her everything else. Actually, we'll probably focus on German or Spanish.

Right... like I actually had this attack plan. But I am glad they all turned out to be nice. :D
I can't wait until I can travel abroad and meet even more amazing people...

No comments: