September 27, 2006

Case Cracked?

I feel as though I've been floundering in Spanish. My homework grade is nearly spotless, my participation grade 100% so, I've done all the reasonable extra credit, and my sentance structures are some of the highest in the class. But on speaking tests, I freeze. Altadonna seems to look straight through me. Every speaking test, she grades on one thing, and one thing alone. The Present Tense, for example. I could conjugate that in my sleep. But not before her gaze. I find myself wondering if Hablar takes a stem change, and backing myself into a corner before I realize I don't know the word for "To Show", and end up using "Demonstrar" with an apologetic and panicked tone in my voice.

I thought compositions would be better. My classmates are all using "Me Gusta" and "Quiere" religiously, and I was sure I'd win some points with my conditional tense and reflexive verbs. We get our grades back... A-, A-, D-, A-... and for you, Miranda... B Plus.

In Chemistry I'd be pleased by a B Plus. In Math I'd be ecstatic. But... Spanish? There are words in red under the grade... they spell a hateful "Bueno!". ¡No! ¡No Es Bueno! ¿Como es posible?

But I think I've cracked the code at last. In sharp contrast to the rest of the foreign language department as I know it, La Sra. Altadonna grades on errors. No subjective ratings on fluency, vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, and spelling for her! Only a score, a shining one hundred percent, defiled point by point with every stammer and mis-step.

So I must try to dumb down. There are those who appreciate reach and ambition... and there are those who want barely functional but nonetheless flawless performance. I tear my clothes...

:(

3 comments:

Jimmy Archer said...

Or you could be pwnzors at your level. :D

Anonymous said...

yeah. that's how navarro is, too. present tense - he graded solely on how many verbs you used correctly / how many verbs you used. same with the composition.

Elindomiel said...

Yeah... The only thing is, I haven't been taught most of my level. So I do my best, which isn't bad, but if you grade only by error... o.O