September 26, 2006

4 Story Bookstore!

In Kansas City, I went to a big four story bookstore! It was so wonderful I wanted to move there just for that store. With only an hour and one hundred dollars on me, I only had the resources to examine 2 sections and buy four books. Findings?

Alright, the Foreign Language section was beautiful. Words can't describe it. It had more books for Spanish than any place I've seen, even the Barnes and Noble that hoarded the Español and scrimped on the others. Then, it had everything else! Even obscure languages like Xhosa and Yoruba. They must have had twenty copies of Wheelock's Latin, and they had "Harrius Potter"! Of course, I had to buy that just for the novelty.

As far as novelty went, however, it wasn't QUITE precious enough to buy "Norwegian in Ten Minutes a Day", even though I got a kick out of it. Many bookstores have that (regrettably) somewhat mediocre language learning series, and I'm used to seeing it in French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, and Italian. But Norwegian? There it was: the only oddball, too. No Swedish, no Danish, no Icelandic, no Welsh, no Zulu. I didn't believe my eyes!

They had perhaps seven books on Norwegian, a sharp contrast to my own Border's toss up chances of having "Teach Yourself Norwegian" or "Pimsleur Norwegian" on a given day. Unfortunately, I lacked the funds to clean them out, so I just bought "Beginner's Norwegian." It's lovely, and comes with CD Roms. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have a Northern Accent. ^^

I looked over the Spanish section and came within an inch of buying a few books, but I figured I had better buy the rarer ones while I had the chance. So I looked over Greek, briefly, before deciding that at my current stage I didn't need much. I scanned Italian, nothing enough out of the norm there, and German. But under Japanese, I was in for a pleasant surprise. I read a book a year ago with a very promising theme that failed to deliver... the book was called, "Japanese in Manga Land" and was simply too silly and poorly organized to help much. But, I found a book called, "Japanese, the Manga Way"! Flipping through it, I saw it was the same idea with less random cartoons and more actual analysis and learning. I bought it as well, then sadly moved out of the Foreign Language section.

With only ten minutes left, I reflected on my need for an Atlas, and picked up a small but heavy one with nice full colour political and geographical maps and a few nice photographs. It's also filled with Statistics and Flags. It'll do. Something like "Pocket World Atlas". Yay. ^^

I LOVE BOOKSTORES.

No comments: