March 20, 2010

Too Much Stuff

It's supposed to be the first day of Spring, but it's the coldest day in two weeks and it's snowing like crazy outside of my window. Oh, Missouri... I'm cooped up in doors, on call tonight and tomorrow night and without any good reason to leave the building during the days, either.

I'm thinking about how I need to try to get days off of work for a Journalism conference that's coming up, how I have WAY too much stuff going on in News Class for a 3 hour class, (No idea how I'm going to get a tour of KOMU since the only possible times are during my weekly staff meetings), how I need to fill out a ton of paperwork for study abroad, how I need to spend spring break in the dentists office or else working on my two big papers, etc, usw, osv...

I'm going to start by giving my room a good cleaning. It helps me to clear my mind and feel less overwhelmed, and it won't even take too long. Honestly I'm sick of all of it. My stuff, I mean. It's a horrible paradox actually. I want less stuff, I want to be organized and have everything in it's place. Not have duplicates, not have things I never use. But at the same time I always want new things. I've been thinking that I want a bicycle. I'm not going to get one because next year I'll be away. But I want one. And I need new clothes - I'm so sick of the shirts that I have now. When did -that- happen?

But I eagerly, happily think of when I'm travelling, when I've got my suitcase and these things, and I'm in a new place every day so no one cars if I wear 'that shirt' again and even twice in the same week, I know what things I have, and if something is not carrying it's weight, I get rid of it... if I desperately need something else, I buy it. And I love that feeling, that I own my stuff, can handle it all, carry it around. I love feeling free and mobile... and not so materialistic.

No comments: