March 16, 2010

Too Much Change.

Okay, so Facebook changes all the time and I hate it for that. But that's what it does, and although I'm at a sort of constant low boil about it, I've accepted it to the point where I rarely even complain anymore.

But lately, Facebook isn't the only website that's been changing a lot and seriously throwing me off. A few times recently, I've been trying to Google Image Search and it sends me into Google Image Swirl, which I can image is useful for a few limited applications, but generally is a DO NOT LIKE, because you have to click on an image about 4 times to get it to open up all the way. Google has also been doing some weird things with sidebars that are supposed to be advanced search options or something, but are just making the website harder to use with my smaller Toshiba screen.

And Youtube??? What was wrong with the old Youtube? Instead of rating videos, we now "like" and "dislike" them. "Like" and "dislike" are just so gut reactions and simplistic. Appropriate for Lolcats, maybe, where something is pretty much funny, or not. But Youtube videos (can) have different layers of depth and different components, and very often merit a tiny bit more thought into their ratings. I also don't like it that the info is now below the video, and less is displayed by default than before.

But most of all, what makes me mad is just that these things change, so quickly and randomly, and with so little thought given to the user's preferences. Yes, I realize that these are all free services I'm criticizing. If you told me that they were making a change to save money or even get more profit from advertising, I could respect that. I wouldn't be happy, of course, but I would respect it. But some of the changes just seem totally random and meaningless!

No comments: