March 16, 2010

Suddenly Spring

Spring happens so fast. It catches me by surprise every year.

The grass is suddenly green. Yesterday, it was that yellow colour, which looks dead and disturbing after October's first frosts, but by the end of February seems to me golden, lovely, something like straw, a bit of warmth in a world of cool greys. And suddenly it's green, in some places more than others, and you find yourself blinking at a patch several times, wondering why it's drawing your attention, what's different about it, until you remember the apple flashing from grey to red in The Giver and remember. Colour. Spring. Life.

The ground is so soft. Mud reappears where there was ice all winter. Last week old, dry and freezer-burnt mulch crunched under foot, now they are spreading new mulch, mahogany coloured or as dark as soy sauce, with a rich strong smell that makes me want to put my hands through it, dig and breathe in the energy of the plant life.

In the shade of one of the parking garages, the one by the hospital that I pass on the way to most of my classes, there has been a snow pile all winter. It was taller than I was and lingered from one snowfall to the next, protected by the deep shadows in that corner. It was there as of this afternoon - now approximately one foot tall, with a big wet ring of earth around it, marking it's previous diameter. I think it's the last snow left on campus, and with it goes this winter.

Time goes by so quickly...


I miss Winter, but I'm still glad it's Spring. ^^

No comments: