February 10, 2010

Study Abroad Update

It's getting closer. 6 months to Spain. 12 months to Germany.

Recommendations. A Resume. A bunch of blahhh forms. A language test. A course proposal. - And that's just the start, and just to apply from my home University - haven't even gotten started on the requirements for my VISA, (Jorge warns that it involves an AIDS test and an intensive background check) nor on the fact that, since I am going through no less than three EXCHANGE programs, I have to directly apply to no less than three Universities. I have to cancel my phone contract, store my stuff and my car, get an International Drivers license, etc...

But it's all going to be so, so worth it.

Plans have changed a bit. Now I'm going to Pamplona, Spain this fall, Germany next Spring, and Norway the Spring after that. Germany's a bit blurry still, because I'm trying to decide which city to study in. My choices are Bonn, Saarbrücken, Stuttgart, and Tübingen, and, if I am patient, which I don't really have the time or inclination to be, possible Leipzig. My finalists are basically Bonn and Tübingen. I'm leaning a bit towards Tübingen right now, based mostly on a google image search and a recommendation from my German professor. I'm about equally in love with the curriculum of Bonn and Tübingen - lots of lovely delicious social sciences, languages, etc - plenty to get my German minor and some other International Studies credits. (I can only get Journalism credit from Spain, so there's no point in even messing with that.)

I've been warned/advised that Tübingen is smaller, sort of Columbia-esque, a traditional college town. Yeah, but, I LOVE Columbia. :P And... it's near mountains, caves, and awesome ruins, has lovely architecture (some classes are taught in a castle), the University is an American-mind-scrambling 500 years old, and so on. So I'm basically waiting for an advising appointment and advice from German friends to help guide me, because Tübingen looks magnificent... but I would also be happy in Bonn. :)

Here's a photo from each place as a sort of summary of awesomeness:


Destination 1 - Pamplona, Spain


Sure. Tons of Americans study in Spain. Madrid, Barcelona, Alicante... but how many study in Pamplona? A lovely city at the foot of the Pyrenees Mountains, in the heart of the Basque Country... Okay, still a lot. But not nearly as many! ;) It looks awesome either way. The only downfall I can see is having to say, "No, I didn't see the running of the bulls. It's in the summer." about 1000 times throughout my life, tempting me to try and catch it after my stay in Germany. Why am I excited about Spain and Pamplona?

- Spanish
- Hiking
- The Pyrenees (complete with monasteries and hot springs)
- Pretty much all Spanish food
- Seeing Basque sports like Pelota
- Southern European Location

Destination 2 - Tübingen, Germany


I show Tübingen mostly because it photographs a bit better than Bonn. I would love to study in either and it's still open ended at this point. Why am I excited about Germany?

- German
- Hiking
- Castles
- Chocolate
- Brötchen
- Yummy Soups
- Esther and Damaris
- Awesome Course Offerings
- Central European Location


Destination 3 - Bergen, Norway


Norway. I don't even know what to say here, except that I love it for some reason, even the language and the food which aren't, for some reason, universally popular. I'm actually chosing Bergen because I have no choice, it's my University's only Norway program. But that's fine, really! :) Bergen is an awesome city in so many ways - home to a world heritage site wharf, surrounded by mountains, and known as the "Gateway to the Fjords". It's also known for horrible weather - not cold so much as rain, rain, and more rain. Luckily it seems to be livable, if still rather wet, in the Spring, which is when I plan to go. (Thanks to Lene for that tip. ;)) Why am I excited about Norway, and Bergen?

- Norwegian
- Hiking
- Bergen's Wharf and Seven Mountains
- Shrimp
- Smoked Salmon
- Waffles
- Syttende Mai
- Fjords and Mountains
- Oh, and Norwegian
- I would say Northern European Location to balance things out... but while I'm going to try to sneak out to see Liisa in Finland at some point during my stay, I think I'll lack the funds or motivation to leave Norway much if at all during this semester.


Of course, I'm also excited about more general stuff, like 'expanding my intellectual/academic/personal/cultural/international horizons. ;)

1 comment:

Seeks Same said...

Thanks for the blog! If you want to keep up with your Spanish or German online or on your iPhone a good service is Babbel.com (http://www.babbel.com). Buen viaje!