July 05, 2009

With One Week to Go

On Saturday I'm leaving for Kansas City, where Laura and I are going to hang out for a few days, having a bit of fun and making our last preparations for Japan. We're leaving for Japan on the 15th - it's coming up rapidly.

I've been busy with family matters, (and, yesterday, the fourth of July :)) but I've still been doing a bit each day and getting closer to being ready. With all the hotel reservations finally confirmed, most of the rail journeys at least generally planned, my phone on it's way, and my railpasses and passport in hand, the most crucial thing remaining is to pack. I'm planning to get my room tidy tonight, and perhaps even come up with a packing list, so that it will be easier.

I'm planning to pack light, with ideally just my smaller red suitcase and a backpack (probably my dad's big one, which I've uncovered in the move). Still, I haven't decided what I'll do for the way to Kansas City - I may well check the big red suitcase with clothes and stuff I'll want at Mizzou but don't need in Japan, and carry on the little red suitcase and the backpack. It's a lot to carry on, but I've done it before. If I can't fit everything into the small suitcase and the backpack with room to spare, I'll bring the big suitcase instead, but wouldn't it be nice if I could carry everything easily, and even avoid checking luggage? Maybe unrealistic, but I can still dream at this point. I also might plan to mail at least one package home (or to Laura's house) with souvenirs or something of that nature, but it's fairly expensive, so we'll see.

I've also been reading a lot. I'm halfway through Japanese Inn, which is probably not the most densely edifying work I could be reading, but hey, I got it at one of the used bookstores around here and it's a nice look at Japan over a long period of history. I may not finish it before I leave, and I'm not particularly worried about it. I do, however, want to finish Turning Japanese. I only wish that it was more up to date - it was written in the 80s - but I still feel as though it's a fascinating look at Japanese culture from a very unique perspective, and, completely apart from my trip, a fascinating work of introspection. I have a lot to say about this book as well, and I'd like to write a blog post about it - perhaps one before, and one after, my trip to Japan.

I've also read more about the sites we'll be going to, and tourism in Japan in general, on Wikitravel. They have a lot of good information on rail connections, restaurants, etc, and I'll probably print 30-40 pages of it to have with me in leiu of or in addition to a traditional guidebook for the trip. This page in particular, though long, is at turns useful, fascinating, or both.

Our itenerary is pretty much finalised at this point, with only three days (out of 21) that are uncertain and probably will be until they arrive. We'll be hovering fairly near Osaka during that time, so good possibilities are Kobe, the valleys around Hiroshima, or more Osaka. The only site that we're missing, would be reasonable to do, and I care at all about is Mount Fuji. I don't really need to spend a day or two climbing it, but it would be nice to go somewhere that at least has a good view of it. We may well do that with the last of our fuzzy days, as we head back towards Tokyo.

Looking at Japan's Top 3 made me quite proud of our itenerary. I really think we've struck a fairly good balance. We can't do everything in Japan, or even the highlights of Japan, in three weeks - which is a good thing! I have a feeling that I'll be back if I ever get the chance, and that's before I've even stepped fut in the country. Still, out of most of the Top 3 lists, we've done 1 - not bad for a first trip.

Amoung the Three Views, we are seeing Miyajima.
Amoung the Three Castles, we are seeing Himeji.
Amoung the Three Famous Gardens, we are doing Kenrokuen.
Amoung the Three Sacred Mountains, we are doing Mount Osore and Mount Koya.
Amoung the Three Big Buddhas, we are doing Todaiji and Kotokuin.
Amoung the Three Holy Places of Oshu, we are doing Mount Osore.
Amoung the Three Great Inari Shrines, we are doing Fushimi Inari.
Amoung the Three Great Tenjin Shrings, we are doing Kitano Tenmangu.
---------------
Amoung the Three Famous Mountains, we may be doing Mount Fuji.
We won't be there for any of the Three Great Festivals.
We're missing the Three Hot Springs.
We're missing the Three Great Night Views.
Amoung the Three Hidden Regions, we are approaching Shirakawa-Go, but not making it there.
We're missing the Three China Towns.

I also checked out "Off the Beaten Track in Japan" - areas that aren't so well known to tourists. I wouldn't expect that we'd make it to any of these on our first whirlwind tour of Japan, but actually both Shimokita Peninsula and Mount Koya make the list.

What I think I'll find is that I regret not having more time to spend on the Shimokita peninsula. I heard about it late enough in the game that I was incredibly lucky to be able to work it in at all, and we're only going to have one full day there - I could spend two weeks.

I took a break a few lessons from finishing Unit 2 of Rosetta Stone Japanese and today I got back on it. As I started Unit 3 I realized that the difficulty has made a pretty steep jump. Still, things are going fairly smoothly. I got out one of my old Japanese textbooks yesterday and wonder if Rosetta Stone is spoiling me - I had a hard time focusing on black text and forcing myself to copy sentences into my notebook. On the other hand, I've never been too impressed by that particular textbook, so maybe it has nothing to do with Rosetta Stone.


Here is a screenshot showing my progress. We're definitely into sentences now, and I can introduce myself or someone else, and ask enough questions to have a 2 minute smalltalk section on a train. Unfortunately that's probably not going to happen, and I'm kind of getting anxious to learn hotel and train related words. But if nothing else Laura and I can cram that at her house before we leave and on the plane ride over.

Things are looking good!

No comments: