July 05, 2009

私の犬は茶色です。

私の名まえはミランダです。十九歳です。学生です。アメリカ人です。

My name is Miranda. I am 19 years old. I am a student. I am American.

I didn't memorize it. I actually know how to say it. And I know how to write it, too, except for the Kanji for year, 歳. It's not much but I'm fiercely proud of it. :D

I can say/write other things too, like:

私の犬は茶色です。
My dog is brown.

犬は外で走っています。
The dog is running outside.

And, most recently,

むすめさんは朝ごはんの後に読みます。
(My) daughter reads after breakfast.

And even,

むすめさんは朝ご飯の後に読みますが昼ご飯の後に読みません。
(My) daughter reads after breakfast but not after lunch.

That last takes me enough time to think about and construct that I'm not sure I could say it spontaneously, but I can understand it if it's said slowly, and write it... and practice makes perfect, right? :P

I can even make some sentences based on words and grammar from Rosetta Stone, although with a language as foreign as Japanese one can never be certain, or even half-certain, that a conjecture is actually the way something is expressed. For example:

私の家族に母と父と妹います。

I am sure this is wrong, but I like to think that it would be at least understood for "In my family there is (my) father, (my) mother, and (my) little sister."

No comments: