April 27, 2007

New Freelang Dictionaries!

Freelang is this awesome free program that lets you keep dictionaries on you're computer. There are currently ninety languages you can load, and you can 'create' your own. Theoretically you could use the program for a conlang or to make flashcards for any subject... You could even start a 'stack' for words you've learned yourself in a certain foreign language class. It's kind of my favourite program ever.

http://www.freelang.net/dictionary/index.html

Anyhow, I just checked it today, and I realized that they added several new languages! I swear, this update was made just for me. The new languages include Old Norse and Old Nahuatl (!), Papiamentu(!!) and Faroese (!!!).

Old Norse is just plain useful. Old Nahuatl is just so much fun! I used the Nahuatl dictionary all the time - I didn't even know they had records of Old Nahuatl!

Papiamentu is also really exciting. It's a pigdin sort of language only spoken on the ABC islands in the Carribean. Those just happen to be my all time favourite vacation spot, and the home of our new family friends, the Chatleins. We met their daughter Natasha on the plane ride in last year, and the two of us got to talking (much about Papiamentu, which being a Romantic-Germanic hybrid interested me). She ended up inviting us to her families house for Christmas, which was really an amazing experience. The locals there go MAD if you speak Papiamentu... saying "How are you?" to the maids made them giggle or, alternatively, smile bigger than Missourians ever do. And when I said "Merry Christmas" on the way to the ice machine, I found 5 of them whispering and waiting for me! :P They were thrilled to death. And a dictionary means I can actually learn some for next time...

Faroese... Wow, this was how I became convinced they made this dictionary for me. I recently bought a crappy program with 107 languages, all 'phrasebook style', with another 30 languages thrown in 'flashcard style'. I bought the whole program because Faroese was one of the 'flashcard style' languages, and the only result for "Faroese" on amazon. I've wanted to taste Faroese ever since hearing Ormurin Langi... and just as with Papiamentu... a dictionary opens many doors.

Whee! I'm so excited! Honestly, try Freelang even if you just want it for a school course or something.

No comments: