April 27, 2007

Oikkuni

Just a few words a day, almost a secret. I cling to them and count them over and over. It is almost like a collection. Piece by piece, it is quite manageable.

My Finnish words, my little secret. A few a day. I hold them in my hand like marbles, smooth and perfect globes of polished glass. They don't come as easily as Italian or Norwegian and so they are more precious.

Each one has a story that grows in my mind to make me remember, and when a word becomes mine I am proud of it but can show it to no one, only smile in the dark of the night and whisper...

(Talvi - Winter)
(Rannikko - Coast)
(Loska - Slush)
(Sisko - Sister)
(Rakennus - Building)
(Aamu - Morning)
(Aika - Time)
(Ranne - Wrist)
(Sumu - Fog)
(Oikku - Strange Habit)
(Tuuli - Wind)
(Sorsa - Wild Duck) ....


The coast on a winter morning, filled with wind and fog.... The words arrange themselves again and again into stories and pieces of lives, as always...


I cannot claim to eat poetry or to romp with joy in the bookish dark. This is my Oikku... I collect words.

No comments: