April 27, 2007

Language Families

Very direct and interesting language family breakdown from Freelang.net. I've put in bold and commented in red on the languages I've dabbled in or am especially interested in learning. I've put comments in orange next to languages I feel a lesser but still viable connection with. I've put comments in normal text if I have anything else I feel like saying. Then I've bolded those comments if I refuse to learn the language for whatever made up reason I have in my head. :P Yeah, I'm kind of a freak.


Linguistically, I'm well on my way to conquering Western, Southern, and Northern Europe. ;)


Indo-European family

  • Indo-Iranian group
    • Indic branch
    • Iranian branch
      • KURDISH - Turkey
      • PERSIAN - Iran This would be fun. It's already taught me the "Q" from Hell...
  • Greek group
      • GREEK - Greece I learned some for my trip to Greece. It's okay...
  • Italic (Latin) group
      • CATALAN - Spain From what I've heard, it's cool Spanish. I'd be interested...
      • FRENCH - France (Say no to French!)
      • ITALIAN - Italy I LOVE Italian! It's Spanish but more beautiful! Learned some for Italy.
      • LATIN - extinct Latin 5 Next Year! Latin's the best dead language ever!
      • OCCITAN - France
      • PORTUGUESE - Portugal I can read it.
      • (BRAZILIAN) PORTUGUESE - Brazil I can read it.
      • ROMANIAN - Romania
      • SPANISH - Spain Spanish 5 Next Year! I do love my Spanish, my first second language.
  • Celtic group
    • Brittonic branch
      • CORNISH - United Kingdom Like "Cornish Pixies!" Yeah, that's all.
      • WELSH - United Kingdom This would be my number one choice from the Celtic group.
    • Gaelic branch
      • IRISH GAELIC - Ireland Another "If I have too much free time I'lll learn a bit" lang...
      • MANX - United Kingdom Cool Name.
      • SCOTTISH GAELIC - United Kingdom Irish is better. Come on.
  • Germanic group
    • Western branch
      • AFRIKAANS - South Africa
      • AMERICAN - U.S.A. Speak it! W00t!
      • DUTCH - Netherlands I can almost read it. It's very familiar.
      • GERMAN - Germany I'm taking this in school and want to focus on it in college.
      • OLD ENGLISH - extinct Similar to Old Norse...
    • Northern branch
      • DANISH - Denmark Yeah, Danes and I are sort of mutually intelligible... :P
      • FAROESE - Denmark This is like Norwegian but cooler! Not quite as scary as Icelandic.
      • ICELANDIC - Iceland This would be fun. It's like Norwegian on crack. Ja sounds great.
      • NORWEGIAN - Norway I've had an infatuation with this for a while.
      • OLD GUTNISH - extinct
      • OLD NORSE - extinct Heheh... Well... This is just useful. You know.
      • SWEDISH - Sweden Yeah, Swedes and I are sort of mutually intelligible... :P
    • Eastern branch
      • GOTHIC - extinct Tolkien liked this one! And I used to think Emo's spoke it...
  • Baltic group
      • LATVIAN - Latvia
      • LITHUANIAN - Lithuania I can order drinks in Lithuanian! But that's all... :P
  • Slavic group
    • Western branch
    • Southern branch
    • Eastern branch
      • RUSSIAN - Russia (Say no to Slavik)
      • UKRAINIAN - Ukraine Okay, if I had to learn *1* Slavik language...
  • Armenian group
  • Albanian group
  • Constructed languages
      • ESPERANTO - constructed (Say no to Esperanto!)

Basque family

      • BASQUE - Spain If I ever have way too much free time.... Remind me...

Dravidian family

Uralic family

  • Finno-Ugric group
    • Finnish branch
      • ESTONIAN - Estonia
      • FINNISH - Finland For Liisa, Tolkien, and my own linguistic insanity...
    • Hungarian branch

Altaic family

Japanese family

      • JAPANESE - Japan Yay Japanese! Pretty colours, good food, video games...

Korean family

Sino-Tibetan family

Austro-Asiatic family

Afro-Asiatic family

Nilo-Saharan family

Niger-Congo family

  • Bantu branch
      • GBARI - Nigeria
      • KINYARWANDA - Rwanda I love the name of this one...
      • SWAHILI - Tanzania Swahili wouldn't kill me.
      • ZULU - South Africa Neither would Zulu.
  • Kwa group
      • YORUBA - Nigeria We just learned about the Yoruba!!!

Austronesian family

  • Malayo-Polynesian group
      • INDONESIAN - Indonesia This is supposed to be really easy. I wouldn't mind dabbling...

Andamanese family

Creole

  • English based
  • French based
  • Portuguese based
      • PAPIAMENTO - Netherlands Antilles Papiamentu is kind of the best ever. And so easy!

Amerindian family

Eskimo-Aleut family

  • Inuit group
      • INUIT - Canada I randomly know some words of this for names. Amaroq means wolf.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Esperanto Rulez!

xD