February 27, 2006

Ich Will... Mangas Largas

It seems to be a week for Music in the foreign language department. I can't voach for French, obviously, and Latin's out of luck. But we've been listening to Flamenco in Spanish and Rammstein in German, with some interesting experiances.

I don't know why we listen to Rammstein in German... It can't be an official part of the curriculum, and it's not as if our teacher's partial to it. :P Al Contrario, she acts mildly embarressed and put-upon whenever she plays a song, and more so when she translates it...

Still, there's something about slamming hard metal music so loud that the whole foreign language department can hear it (including Gwen who was having Spanish that hour) that's just awesome. It's an important part of the culture, you know! Spanish can have their Flamenco, German has their Rammstein! Ich will Rammstein hören! Ja, Spitze!

A few hours later, I returned to attend Spanish Class. As we listened to Flamenco music, we were supposed to try out some new vocab and discuss the meaning-feeling-blah of whatever we were listening to. Well, I've never been one to heavily critique the fine arts. (There are a few things that I'm passionate about, but I'm not going to see a painting and strike a stance of my own accord) Therefore, Jenny and I decided to take the silly route and still manage to use our vocabulary. Halfway through the song, I start pulling at the end of my sleeves and swaying them gently back and forth. Sleeves, "Mangas" en Español... well, its a personal thing... :P

When the music ended and the discussion began, it went something like this:

"Que opinas de esta musica?"
"Eso me recuerda de tus mangas."
"Mis Mangas?!"
"Si. Tus Mangas son muy sexy. No puedo ayudarlo, pero yo quiero comerlos."
"Oye, Professora! Eso te recuerda de mis mangas?"
Suddenly, she got an unusual look on her face and went and got the cd.
"Eso es porque... el cancion se llama..."

The CD case read "Track One: Mangas Largas."

O.o Subliminal Messaging?

No comments: