March 05, 2012

Lucky

I've covered this topic before, but here's yet another, subtly different, spin on it.

I get annoyed by all these awesome travel bloggers and nomads telling people, "I'm not lucky, stop saying I'm lucky, anyone can have my life! I just work hard!"

Come on. Some people are working way harder than you just to put a roof over their heads or food in their children's mouths.

At the same time, part of me relates to the way the bloggers are annoyed by friends, family, and total strangers about living such a charmed (and, the insinuation is, easy) life.

Here's the deal, folks.

World travellers are very, very lucky.

And they work. Sort of hard.

They do make sacrifices. They do encounter discomfort. They do not spend every day wandering through a fog of happy-happy joy-joy.

But if being able to follow a life entirely of your choosing, with an almost absolute freedom beyond what 99.99% of the world's population could ever dream of, is not luck... I don't know what is.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Braun said...

I guess, most of the time, we live the life we choose. If we wouldn't chose it today, well we did a few years ago when we decided to, say, get married to a home-body and have 3 kids, etc.

This is why I often recommend people do as you've done - travel etc when you're young and without ties so that you don't regret not doing it later when it's much harder.