March 07, 2012

Fun times in Bergen

Yesterday I successfully hijacked my Norwegian class for the final 45 minutes so that we could talk about bad words to call men and women. This was inspired by my trying to describe what happened with Rush Limabaugh with my unimaginative Norwegian vocabulary. "He called her a bad woman!" Yep.

One word had my teacher trying to explain it as "an older woman, who gossips, and who..." and she did this certain gesture of pulling her elbows in and moving her hands towards her chest as if trying to shrink her boobs or something.

First I nodded as if this made sense. Then my brain caught up.

"Excuse me, she does what?"

"She does..." And then the teacher laughed and laughed at herself.

It was a good day.

Afterwards I picked up a couchsurfer from the train station, told him what to do downtown and went to Lehmkuhlhallen to go climbing. Unfortunately the hall was already full! I didn't know that could happen!

But the silver lining was that Yinon (the couchsurfer) was quite grateful to have a tour guide. We walked around Bryggen and to the old fortress for a bit of a view. Then, this morning, we went back downtown, he found out about his fjord options, and we walked up Mt. Fløyen. You could just barely make out the view in the rain and fog. But up at the top it was snowing a bit, and that helped make it worth it. We wandered through the troll forest and Yinon did his souvenir shopping. The shop on top of Floyen is actually reasonably priced, for Norway. Then I sent him off to another host for tonight, since I need to get ready for Nadine and my birthday. But first he gave me a Jerusalem magnet and a big package of Dead Sea Mud.

Definitely the coolest present I've gotten from a Couchsurfer! Ballin'!

Couchsurfing is truly a win-win. It's obvious that Yinon got a free place to stay, a free breakfast, and a free tour. Meanwhile I got a good excuse to get out of the house on my boring day of the week, some information about modern-day Israel, a free kebab dinner and hot chocolate up on the mountain, and a package of mud. :)

No comments: