November 12, 2011

Unclear Future

A certain photo, a certain gesture, a certain comment, and suddenly I see one of my friends in a new light, older, more mature, part of the adult world. It's beautiful, it's terrifying, it's tragic, it's natural, it's definitely disorienting. I start realizing where all the different types of people come from, starting with all the people I know well and think are unique, new, not like the archetypes that came before us.

The only one I can't see this with is myself. Despite uncertainties and margin of error, I start to get a vague feeling about the future of some of the others, but never about myself. I'm not worried about it, but I'm so uncertain about the way my own life will go. I can't see my own future and I can't see my own face changing, growing older.

How much of this, I wonder, is normal... and how much of it is my baby face, or the degree of uncertainty I've deliberately programmed into my own lifestyle?

No comments: