November 18, 2011

Prize Money

Yesterday, I won the MU Study Abroad Photo Contest with this picture:


It was the only one of the three photos I submitted to make it to the Finalist level, in the category of Cross Cultural Moments. The other categories were Landscapes, Portraits, and Educational Moments. Educational Moments and Cross Cultural Moments were sort of tricky ones, I thought. This one for example could with some imagination go into any of the four categories. But, I threw it in Cross Cultural because I thought there might be less entries to that one or something. :) Out of roughly 150 pictures, they picked 5 finalists in each of the four categories.

At the contest I tried to prepare myself for the possibility of not winning. Sure enough they started off with the Cross Cultural winner, and it wasn't me. So I knew I had either won everything, or nothing... and I won! Yay! :D Apparently they just loved the composition, the colors, and the sense of distance and adventure.

The prize was a HUGE framed version of the picture, and $200. I've already spent the money. XD

I went down to the Alpine Shop and bought the following:

For winter:
- 4 pairs of merino wool socks
- A pair of thin, thermal glove liners
- A pair of waterproof down mittens
- A pair of long underwear bottoms

After my conversation with Liisa, I determined that a balaclava was more or less optional, that my old silk scarves and new wool hat should work fine, that my polyester long underwear would suffice and that I could have her old Nepalese gaiters. That really left only mittens as a necessary warmth item. And, indeed, the mittens were at $80 the most expensive item I bought by far. I needed both warm and waterproof, and the ones I got were actually the cheapest ones that met that requirement. But, my hand-me-down wool socks are a poor fit (enormous, actually), and I found some in my size that were being sold pretty cheaply as for kids, so I got a few pairs. And, with long underwear on sale, I rounded out my 'collection' to two tops and two bottoms, which should just suffice.

For camping/travel:
- A second waterproof compression sack for clothing
- A super absorbant pocket towel
- An ultra-light travel kettle/pot
- A very tiny camp bowl, mug, and spork

I loved the compression sack I got for my sleeping bag, so I decided to get a second one. Camping in Scandinavia, keeping my clothes dry no matter what (plus able to fit in my backpack) is going to be really important. Plus, I can use it on ordinary trips for packing. I'm thinking for example of packing my down pillow this time since there's no Ana or Esther to borrow from in Bergen - this will make that doable. The pocket towel is something I've wanted for quite awhile, and it was surprisingly cheap - $12. Meanwhile the kettle, bowl, mug, and spork came all together in a tiny, very lightweight kit, all nestled together. I had been considering getting this little pack-flat bowl, but this was only twice the price for several items. If I get a camp stove, this will set me up to make tiny meals out and about. If I don't, the kettle will still be useful for traveling, example we don't necessarily have communal cookware in Bergen, if I bring this I will be able to make soup, hot water, ramen, etc.

------------------------------------

After my previous shopping excursion to REI, where I picked up a winter sleeping bag, compression sack, sleeping pad, thermal liner, hiking backpack, and waterproof cover... plus the wool hat I got last week... I am now about 60% equipped for Norway. All that remains is the coat my mom is getting me for Christmas <3, (a good waterproof shell with fleece liner), a pair of waterproof pants, and a pair of boots. I love my hiking booties, but I need something a bit warmer with room for wool socks, and, if I can get it without paying an arm and a leg extra, mountaineering capabilities (I'd like to get something I can put crampons on). Alpine Shop had some surprisingly warm boots but nothing for mountaineering, so I'm thinking that after break, when I go to get Max from St. Louis, I'll check out REI's selection.

1 comment:

Tina said...

"Balaclava" does not mean "baklava." Got it. That really is a beautiful picture, I was just giving you shyit about it earlier because I love you.